In order to assess a woman’s reproductive function, all patients at Dr.Invitro complete what is known as day 3 testing. Day 3 testing consists of bloodwork and an ultrasound that is completed on the third day of a woman’s menstrual cycle.
The blood drawn is used to measure various hormone levels that help determine if you are ovulating as well as your ovarian reserve (or egg supply). Day 3 hormone testing measures:
- E2 (estrogren): E2 is the main female reproductive hormone that is secreted from the ovary and stimulates follicle growth as well as prepares the uterine lining for implantation.
- FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone): FSH is released from the brain and stimulates the ovary to mature an egg.
- LH (luteinizing hormone): LH is integral in the final maturation and release of a mature follicle.
- AMH (anti-Müllerian hormone): AMH indicates the size of ovarian reserve. AMH is secreted by the small antral follicles found in the ovaries at the start of the menstrual cycle.
- Other: Additional hormone tests may be performed to assess general health and cycle regularity.